-
September 27th, 2006, 02:25 AM
#1
Inactive Member
OK, I am having a horrible time adjusting to MI. I have had a tons of problems at work and just am not happy where I work right now. I live in Michigan and am not happy here. There is not much growth and the healthcare system is good, but not where I want to work. I posted my resume online and was offered jobs in Texas Houston area. My husband was excited about the potential move. What do you Texas HB members think of Houston. I would love to work at Texas Children's Hospital. I have a ton of experience with kids and love them! I have three kids 8 and twins who are three. I would probably move in the next 2 months (the advantage of renting and having a husband who is a stay at home dad). I want a warmer climate, a great school system, and a up and booming town. Please let me know!!
I have two job offers. One in Mesa, AZ at Mesa General which pays more and one in San Antonio at Methodist which pays more than I make now plus there seems to be more to do in TX. Any ideas which community would be better to raise a family, more opportunities, and good hospital reputation. Any adevice would be GREAT!! I leave for vacation on Sunday so I need all the advice I can get quickly!! Thanks!!
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 27, 2006 06:00 PM: Message edited by: kbrzez ]</font>
-
September 27th, 2006, 10:55 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Come on down! I live in the Dallas area but have relatives in Houston. We love to visit. I've lived in Texas all my life so I'm a little biased. My neighbor is a Labor and Delivery nurse (she was there when DD was born) and I know there is a shortage of nurses in our area. Good luck with your decision and keep us in the loop.
-
September 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM
#3
Inactive Member
My DH really thinks it is a great idea. We moved back to Michigan after my husband finished his military duty in CA. We loved CA but family was begging us to come home. We came home and hated the Lansing area, did not mind Kalamazoo but there is no growth here and it is just about layoffs and no growth. I like a booming town which is what I remember about the Kazoo area. I will check into some jobs later this morning and see what they can offer me to come down. I look forward to relocating. We see family about maybe twice a year so it will probably be the same living in Texas.
-
September 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM
#4
Inactive Member
We live in Port Neches-somewhat near Houston but more near Beaumont-and we just moved her last Dec from San Antonio. I'm actually a New Yorker-and am having a bit of trouble adjusting to the Texas weather. But then I keep reminding myself-how nice it is that my girls eat lunch at their picnic table outside all winter long-and were rollerskating on Christmas. We didn't however get out much during the summer-I thought I was going to melt. [img]smile.gif[/img] I hope at some point to get used to the summers-either that-or get a pool. One thing I do love-is it seems that a trip to the grocery store-you get a lot for your money. We've lived in MANY different places and states-and our grocery bill is our lowest ever- even lower than when we were in the military and shopping at the commissary. We would eventually like to make our way more towards the Houston area-(specifically Sugar Land-I keep hearing wonderful things about it). My husband works for Shell Motiva-so we very likely could have the opportunity to move to one of their Houston offices in the future. [img]smile.gif[/img] But overall-we are happy with the area-and I'm VERY happy with the elementary school. My daughter has severe speech delays-and I was so worried about her starting Kindergarten-but she's is doing so well there-and just thriving and making leaps and bounds-and everybody has been so helpful with her. So, you should definitely move here-and then your 3 year old twins can play with my 3 year old. [img]wink.gif[/img] Actually-you'd probably be too far in Houston itself-but it was a fun thought. [img]smile.gif[/img] Let us know what happens-maybe we'll have enough to have a HB event of our own one day. [img]wink.gif[/img]
Allison
-
September 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Wow! I did not know there were so many of us Texas girls on the Board!
I am also a Houston native. There are many job opportunities down here and we have a very large and reputable Medical Center. Texas Childrens is one of the top hospitals in the U.S. If you decide to move to Houston (and I really hope you do), please PM one of us before you go house-hunting. We want to make sure you get in a great neighborhood with a good school district. If you like warm, tropical climates, you will love Houston! [img]graemlins/island.gif[/img]
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 27, 2006 09:40 AM: Message edited by: AG Sweetheart ]</font>
-
September 27th, 2006, 01:16 PM
#6
mandy1995
Guest
WE lived in Katy, TX (suburb west of Houston) for 2 years and thought Katy was a wonderful area. The school system in Katy was excellent. More of a "small town" feel next to "big city" Houston. And Katy had EVERYTHING....shopping, restaurants, great homes, etc. We left because of the heat & humidity.....moved to Colorado and probably won't move anywhere else! Love it here.
Good luck with your future job and house hunting. PS: know quite a few people who relocated to Texas and love it!
-
September 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
#7
joelanddeborah
Guest
Oh, Texas!! We love going there! My husband grew up in Houston (Northwest Side--He graduated from Cy-Fair High School) and his aunt and uncle and cousins all live in and around Houston, so we go there quite a bit. His uncle is about to retire from working at NASA for the last forty or more years. They live in the Southeast side, near NASA and the ocean.
Being from the Northwest and marrying a Texan has been interesting the last 16 1/2 years! I have learned a ton about Texas, and I love it all! I can't say enough good about it. The people have been very kind to us there, and there certainly are loads of fun things to do! My children are VERY proud of being "half-Texan." [img]wink.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
-
September 27th, 2006, 03:50 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Well I was born and raised in Houston, and after moving around for a few years have made my home here again for the last 5 years. I love it here, despite the heat and the humidity, but then all of my family is here, so that probably helps a little.
I live in the suburbs, specifically Sugar Land, which is on the southwest side of town, but I grew up on the Southeast side of Houston so I know that area pretty well. I love Houston for many reasons. A diversity of cultures converges here. There are lots of museums and opportunities to see the arts. Lots of parks and a zoo for the kids. Our school is wonderful. Any kind of restaurant or type of food you want- Houston has it. And we are only an hour from Galveston beach. It's not the prettiest water, but it sure feels good to feel the salty air on your skin now and then.
I actually have a cousin who is doing her residency at Texas Children's Hospital right now and she loves it. If you have any specific questions you would like to ask me go ahead and PM me. I'd be happy to try and help you out if I can.
-
September 27th, 2006, 06:01 PM
#9
Inactive Member
DON'T MOVE!!! MICHIGAN ROX!!!!
-
September 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
#10
Inactive Member
I have decided to move, sorry Mchigan is horrible, I worked at Bronson Hospital and was a great employee and loved my job. One nurse had it out for me for some reason and she lied saying I did this and that. I never ever did anything wrong. Well, I stepped off into the right direction and quit right there today. After all I have dedicated myself to for Bronson this is all I get. Anyhow, I already have job offers in Phoenix and San Antonio today. I am eager to move, my family is upset (my parents especially) but my daughters and DH are excited. Of course, my son has been crying all afternoon, he'll adjust though!! Wish me luck!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks